Thursday, March 4, 2010

First Birthing Class

Justin and I went to our firth birthing class last night. We are learning the Bradley method for natural childbirth. I think Justin is going along because it is what I want, but I don't think he whole-heartedly believes in NCB and not being in a hospital. And he believes he was the only Republican there last night--probably true. Anyway . . . The class is 7 couples large and the classes take place in the living room of a husband and wife instructor team. We will meet once a week for 10 weeks and each class is 2 hours and 15 minutes. We get home pretty late. But I love the instructors and I think they will be a great support. An interesting thing that Nancy said last night, was that arrival times at the first class often indicate delivery patterns. So if you arrive early, so will baby. Justin and I were the first ones there--20 minutes before class began. I am chronically early to everything. Will Daphne take after me? We shall see. I hope she is just on time.

I am excited about giving birth naturally and that I get to do it at the birthing center with a midwife. Maybe over the next few weeks of studying childbirth Justin will be become a believer that hospitals are for sick people and pregnancy is not an illness. He said that last night, but I just don't think he really believes it. I hope he can handle this experience.

Tomorrow I hit the 27 week mark. Next week, I go in for the 1 hour glucose tolerance test and to get my rhogam shot, since I have A- blood. After this appointment, I start to see the midwives on a more frequent basis--every 2-3 weeks.

Daphne is a mover and a shaker. Justin felt her move for the first time one week ago. That was exciting. Now he knows what he is feeling for, so when she is kicking, he can feel her about every time. Earlier this week, Daphne decided to wake up at about 2 am and proceeded to kick for about an hour. It made for a very tired following day for me. But I love her. Every time I feel her is a comfort. I want to meet her so bad but I can wait until she is done cooking.

1 comment:

Holly & John Our family journey said...

Classes sound like they are going awesome I really hope you can follow your birth plan that you have selected just make sure that if it doesn't go that way you prepare yourself for that as well. I love the late night kicks and dances in the belly were YES very tired times and sometimes I would try to think of ways to sooth him back to sleep but none the less they were great =0) Secret bond between mother and baby <3